American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology. Public Engagement.
- : Provides an overview of how the AAAS is increasing the public’s understanding of science through more interactive approaches.
Resnick D, Elliot K. The ethical challenges of socially responsible science. Accountability in Research. 2016;23(1):31-46.
- : Provides recommendations to help researchers deal with some of the ethical issues that may arise when exercising their social responsibilities.
Pew Research Center. How scientists engage the public. February 15, 2015.
- : Discusses survey results of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) members. Explores how scientists interact with the public and journalists and their reasons for doing so.
Bernstein R. Public engagement: Balancing altruism and self-interest. Science Careers. 2015 February 16.
- : Discusses the importance of public engagement and its impact on scientific career advancement.
Pain E. How Scientists Can Influence Policy. Science Careers. 2014 February 16.
- : Provides guidance and resources for how scientists can become involved in public policy decisions.
Bird, SJ. Socially responsible science is more than “good science". Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education. 2014;15(2):169-172.
- : Discusses the larger societal context of science and technology as it relates to the responsibilities of researchers.
Rabesandratana T. Talking to the Public About Risk. Science Careers. 2014 October 15.
- : Discusses the professional responsibilities of scientists when communicating risk.
Pain E. The Social Responsibilities of Scientists. Science Careers. 2013 February 16.
- : Summarizes several key messages provided by Mark Frankel, director of the Scientific Responsibility, Human Rights, and Law Program at the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
National Science Foundation. Science and Technology: Chapter 7- Public Attitudes and Understanding, Science and Engineering Indicators 2018.
- : Provides a broad base of quantitative information about U.S. science, engineering, and technology for use by policymakers, researchers, and the general public. Presents indicators about news, information, and knowledge of science and technology.
Borchelt R, Hudson K. Engaging the Scientific Community with the Public. Science Progress. 2008 April 21.
- : Discusses involving the public in science through discussion, rather than lecture.
Emanuel EJ, Wendler D, Grady C. What makes clinical research ethical? JAMA. 2000;283(20):2701-2711. doi:10.1001/jama.283.20.2701.
- : Discusses a framework for guiding the ethical development and evaluation of clinical research.
Blum D, Knudson M, and Marantz H. A Field Guide for Science Writers: The Official Guide of the National Association of Science Writers.
- : Provides practical advice and guidance for effectively communicating a range of scientific topics to varying audiences.
- : Nationwide event designed to inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers.
Center for Advancement of Informal Science Education (CAISE). Informal Science.
- : An online community and collection of informal STEM learning projects, evaluation, and research resources.
- : Addresses societal engagement from many perspectives that include encouraging dialogue between scientists and other members of the public, by promoting an adherence to ethical standards, and by developing increased access to research results.