Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy. On Being A Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research, Third Edition. Chapter on The Treatment of Data. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2009.
- : Describes the ethical foundations for scientific practices, potential challenges faced by researchers and includes case studies for discussion on data management.
Click on the following case study and discussion points:
Alexander, M, Williams, W. A Guidebook for Teaching Selected Responsible Conduct of Research Topics to a Culturally Diverse Trainee Group, Chapter 4: Teaching Materials for Data Management, Sharing and Ownership
- : Includes Mini-Surveys and Case Studies on intellectual property issues with a focus on the training needs of international postdoctoral fellows.
Mini-Survey, Chapter 4: Pages 25-26
- : General 7-question survey on data management and treatment issues.
Case DM-1, Chapter 4: page 27
- : Explores guidelines for keeping lab notebooks and ownership rights to data.
Case DM-2, Chapter 4: page 29
- : Explores the issue of removing research materials from the lab.
Mini-Case DM-A, Chapter 4: page 31
- : Explores the issues of record keeping and data use.
Mini-Case DM-B, Chapter 4: page 32
- : Explores the issue of access to lab notebooks.
Mini-Case DM-C, Chapter 4: page 33
- : Explores the issue of data retention .