Welcome to The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute Responsible Conduct of Research Site!
This site provides a wide range of educational resources on scientific integrity for The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) research community - useful and applicable whether you are new to research or have many years of experience. As a central component of the CHOP Research Institute's Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) program the site is designed to:
- Convey and clarify role-specific RCR training requirements
- Facilitate access to RCR educational materials and resources
- Serve as a faculty resource for delivering RCR instruction
- Increase understanding of RCR-related federal regulations and CHOP policies
- Introduce institutional experts to answer questions and offer guidance
May 2016 Feature: Conflicts of Interest
While it is often difficult to completely avoid conflicts of interest in today's complex research environment, investigator disclosure and management of competing interests are key elements for strengthening transparency and increasing accountability. Check out these selected resources that will better prepare you to identify, disclose, and manage or eliminate potential conflicts of interest:
- The Conflict of Interest (COI) and Medical Innovation: Ensuring Integrity While Facilitating Innovation in Medical Research, 2014 Workshop Summary, from the Institute of Medicine discusses the effect of current COI policies on medical innovation.
- The Conflicts of Interest and Transparency Initiatives is a list of resources available from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
- Apparent ‘Pay to Cite’ Offer Sparks Internet Outrage from ScienceInsider, August 2015, describes the controversy related to paying scientists for citing use of a company’s product in a published journal paper.
- US DHHS 2011 Revised Regulation on Financial Conflicts of Interest (FCOI) amends the 1995 regulations and provides a framework for identifying, managing and ultimately avoiding financial conflicts of interest. Includes the Federal Register Notice, NIH Guide Notice, Summary Slides, a Summary of Major Changes Table and other resources.
- Open Payments (Physician Payments Sunshine Act) is legislation designed to create greater transparency of industry-physician financial relationships.
- ORI: Introduction to the Responsible Conduct of Research – Chapter 5: Conflicts of Interest reviews conflicts of interest in the areas of financial gain, work commitments, and intellectual and personal matters – with options for managing these types of conflicts.
Explore the Conflicts of Interest Topic on this site.